Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 25 15:11:19 PST 2013

On 2013-02-25 23:12, Jim Graham wrote:
> Yeah, you said that, and someone else asked about using it in a non-GUI
> environment.  Ok, but it doesn't HAVE to be a GUI version.  Switching
> it from using a text widget and scrollbars would mean changing a few
> lines of code (e.g., instead of "$w.t insert end $message\n" d
> just use "puts $message").  If the idea is to add it at the end, so it
> doesn't scroll right past whatever the user's scrollback buffer is set
> to, that's just a few more lines:
>
> for each text sent:
>
>    lappend mlist $message
>
> and later, when it's all finished (or crashes):
>
>    foreach line $mlist { puts $line }
>
> Yeah, very difficult.  :-)

Well, I think this discussion already left the scope of the
macports-users mailing list. Collecting notes of a port installation run
and displaying them at the end again is definitely possible (maybe even
write them to a separate persistent log file, send emails, display Growl
messages, ...)

Implementing a feature like this does not have to be difficult, it just
needs someone to take it up and actually write code for it.

If anyone still reading this thread is actually serious about
implementing this feature I would recommend to take the discussion to
the macports-dev list.

Rainer