Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Feb 26 13:10:52 PST 2013

On Feb 26 15:44:12, jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with that;
> > apparently I need to re-read the port manpage.
> >
> > However, this still requires an action of the user besides 'install';
> > I believe that the notes of the newly installed packages (if any)
> > should be displayed as a part of 'install' automatically.
>
> A port's notes are printed as a package is installed.
>
> This is just semantically different than the request to get them all printed at once at the end of all operations.

Well, that's exactly the difference as I understood it
- there is currently no comfort way to get to the messages
of all the things that got installed in a 'port install' job
that just ended; the user needs to read and scan the whole
output; a bit of searching makes it easier of course,
but it would IMHO be desirable to have them all at the end
(and therefore in one place).

The suggested 'port notes' works for a given package;
for example, if I run 'port install package', I can run
'port note depof:package' after that and get all the notes,
in one place. But:

(1) this should happen automatically
    as a part of the 'port install'.

(2) it is bit of typing if it's actually
    port install one two three four five six
    port notes depof:one depof:two depof:three ...

(3) as an extreme case, after 'port update outdated',
    there is no 'port notes depof:outdated';
    the only way to get to all the install messages
    of everything that got installed or updated
    in this 'port update outdated' run is to
    scan through the whole output. Right?

	Jan