Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 14:56:27 PST 2013

Hi,

> A simple "notes happened above" message would be ideal.
>
>>> Conversely, we'd be spewing twice as many messages
>>> if the install isn't interrupted.
>>
>> Why? If the messages were _only_ printed at the end?
>
> Why move where we're printing them when a simple "hey, scroll up" will suffice?

Not everyone has their scroll history set to a reasonable size (in fact the default is often quite small) so if a lot of ports where installed, it may not even be possible to scroll up enough to see them... So I don't think you can just assume this will always work.

I think the messages should probably be printed at the end, in one place. I don't particularly care either way if they are printed as well when the port in question is installed, but would tend toward yes, they should.

Chris