Disable antivirus when building this port.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 27 02:43:20 PST 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 03:05, Jan Stary wrote:

> While looking at various package's notes
> (during the ongoing install notes debate),
> I noticed a port with the following notes:
>
> 	virtuoso has the following notes:
> 	Disable antivirus when building this port.
>
> Arguably, it is not of much use to the user
> displaying this note _after_ the port has
> been installed.

True, and that issue was brought up a year ago in this ticket:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33332

And as a result the port was modified to also display these notes between the configure and build phases, where it hopefully will do some good:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/90136

Users can also of course call up the notes at any time by typing "port notes virtuoso".

> How do we generally deal with such a situation?
> Surely the user is not supposed to play catch
> with port(1)'s output. Should the port build
> exit/pause with this note? Should the port
> job recognize notes that need to displayed
> _before_ the build even starts, display them
> up front and pause?
>
> BTW, why does the virtuoso port need
> to have "the antivirus" dissabled?
> (Whichever antivirus it may be.)

The message was added to the port in r88409, and it would have been nice if the commit message had provided a pointer to a ticket explaining what the problem was. But a little research shows the problem was that virtuoso insists on running its test suite after the build, and the test suite tries to start a network server and then connect to it, and Sophos antivirus was blocking that network connection from being established, which resulted in the port build hanging forever. Here are the tickets:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25573
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/29584
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/30981

The notes could be modified to explain the problem better.