Where is "hosts" file for apache https?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:25:11 PST 2013

Do I correctly understand how to get virtual hosts to work with apache2 from macports?

  (1) In httpd.conf, uncomment "#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf".

  (2) Edit file /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf so as to set the name and DocumentRoot for each VirualHost (and create the corresponding folder target for each DocumentRoot).

  (3) Edit file /etc/hosts to include each virtual host. Specifically, if all the virtual hosts are going to be strictly for local use, add to /etc/hosts entries of the form:

      127.0.0.1    virtual-hot-name

I ask this because docs I've come across for configuring macport's apache2 port, e.g.,

  http://muddledramblings.com/rumblings-from-the-secret-labs/lamp-server-from-scratch-with-macports/

don't mention setp (3).

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912