perl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 28 03:08:43 PST 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 04:41, Masha Vecherkovskaya wrote:

> Am I right in feeling (not knowing just feeling), that perl which came with OS X is different from what MacPorts install?

That might depend on your OS X version. I don't remember what version of perl comes with each version of OS X. But you can see what versions are available in MacPorts and use one you like.

> If so, will I run into troubles with my ports if I install and use CPAN to install some modules to run a program (http://circos.ca)

Don't use CPAN to install modules into the MacPorts prefix; find the MacPorts port corresponding to the CPAN module you want and install that instead. Generally, if you want a module Foo::Bar, the port is p5-foo-bar. But you'll want to choose the subport for the version of perl you want, e.g. p5.12-foo-bar. If we don't have a port for the module you want yet, request one, or better yet, create one; the cpan2port script can give you a starting point for that.