help with zmq

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 4 06:16:24 PST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 17:46, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Comer Duncan wrote:
>
>> zmq @3.2.2 (devel, net)
>>     ØMQ (ZeroMQ) lightweight messaging kernel
>>
>> zmq20 @2.0.11 (devel, net)
>>     ØMQ lightweight messaging kernel, 2.0.x branch
>>
>> zmq22 @2.2.0 (devel, net)
>>     ØMQ (ZeroMQ) lightweight messaging kernel, 2.2.x branch
>>
>> homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ port installed zmq
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>   zmq @2.2.0_0
>>
>> So, how come I am getting this problem with zmq22?  Any help is appreciated.
>>
> Something you have installed does not work with the zmq 3.x API.  In the tme since you last updated, zmq updated from your currently installed 2.2.0 version to 3.2.2; the port that requires zeromq was therefore updated to use zmq22 instead, but there can't be an automatic replace because other users need the current zmq and still others need zmq20.
>
> I expect that you will need to force remove zmq and install zmq22 in its place; then you can continue.
>
> This is one of the prices you pay for not updating in a timely fashion.  Probably if you had updated regularly, you would have been transitioned from zmq to zmq22 before zmq was updated to 3.x.

Good advice generally, but in the case of zmq, there was no transition period: zmq was updated from version 2.2.0 to 3.2.0, and zmq22 @2.2.0 was created at the same time.

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/98850

The way that the zmq, zmq20 and zmq22 ports install the same files to the same locations is contrary to our port naming conventions, but so far nobody has found the time to clean this up and make these ports simultaneously installable as we would prefer.