Should I uninstall? If not, how to fix major dependency issues?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:09:44 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Robin Wilson <robin at rtwilson.com> wrote:

> I seem to have major dependency issues - possibly due to something I
> remember doing ages ago to do with different versions of GCC (yes, sounds
> stupid doesn't it!). Trying to install GTK+ gave an error about needing
> libpng, so I tried to install it and got this:

What you got is not an error; libpng is up to date, its dependency zlib was
successfully reinstalled.  (Although I am worried that it doesn't say *why*
it was reinstalled; the same version and variant appears to have been
installed.)  Perhaps you could "sudo port clean gtk2; sudo port install
gtk2" and then attach the resulting log (from "port logfile gtk2").

If you are not building gtk+ from a port, you may want to install the port
instead, or if you must for some reason install manually you might want to
inspect the gtk2 Portfile to see what changes might be needed for OS X
compatibility and to have it use MacPorts libraries.  Note that this is a
bad idea in general; you should use the port.

Or... one reason I can see for it reinstalling zlib is because you upgraded
from an older OS X without performing a MacPorts migration (see
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration), which will result in broken
libraries; at this point, that probably does mean removing and
reinstalling, but read the wiki page for the details and what your options
are.