digikam - khelpcenter and trash problems

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 14:17:48 PST 2013

On 07/01/2013, at 2:05 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Clayton Ginsburg <cginsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) When I try to use the help functionality of digikam(or any kde program) by choosing Help -> digikam handbook I receive the message "
> Could not launch the KDE Help Center:
>
> Could not find service 'khelpcenter'.
> "
> I do see a program installed called "khelpcenter.app" in /Applications/MacPorts/kde4 that opens just fine, but does not contain the digikam handbook.
>
> The first part probably means you need to run ksycoca to rebuild KDE's configuration cache (see other messages).  The second probably means you want to rebuild all the KDE ports with the +docs variant.  (This will drag in a lot more dependencies, which is why it's not the default.)

I noticed a while back that +docs brought in a whole lot of  text-handling software
that I am never likely to use and that seemed to greatly extend the build time.

I think this might be because KDE API doc uses Doxygen, which has a range of
formatting options, such as LaTeX.  The API doc is online at api.kde.org for the
few people who want to program on Apple using KDE libraries and anyway you
can read it in the KDE source-code header files.

The user doco might require fewer dependencies and the handbooks are what
more people would want.  KDE user doco is written in XML Docbook and there
is a KDE utility that converts it at build time (to compressed HTML, I think).

Is it feasible to select out user doc only when porting KDE apps?

My 10c,
All the best, Ian W.