Modify port source before installing

Jason Mansour jd.mansour at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:14:02 PST 2013

Hi,
I'd like to make a small modification to a port's source before installing.
I've read that the following used to work*:

    # possibly run uninstall and clean first
    port fetch myport
    port extract myport
    port patch myport
    port extract myport
    cd $(port dir myport)
    # make changes (as user macports)
    # the following configures, builds, installs and activates:
    port install myport

Now, when I try this, I can run port configure and port build myself
successfully. But whenever I try port install, macports insists on
re-extracting the files, overwriting my changes. This seems to be 'new'
behavior. So my question is, how do I install a port with changes to the
source?

Thanks,
Jason

*) see for example