Help with "port upgrade outdated" errors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 8 16:09:34 PST 2013

On Jan 8, 2013, at 17:57, Achilles Vassilicos wrote:
> On 1/8/13 6:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Every time I try to get that Download section, I cannot find it... It seems that it doesn't exist in my Xcode preferences window... I do something wrong?
>>> <Picture 9.png.zip>
>> That screenshot shows an old version of Xcode, possibly Xcode 3.2.x which was for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. What does it say if you go to About Xcode from the Xcode menu?
>>
>> Honestly, it also looks like that screenshot was taken on an old version of OS X. The shape of the OK, Cancel and Apply buttons in the lower right corner is how those buttons look on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and earlier; in OS X 10.7 Lion and later they're more square and less rounded. Did you really take that screenshot on your computer? If so let's verify what version of OS X you actually have by running these two commands:
>>
>> uname -v
>> sw_vers
>
> Here is the output:
> av-MacBook-Pro:~ av$ uname -v
> Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64
> av-MacBook-Pro:~ av$ sw_vers
> ProductName:    Mac OS X
> ProductVersion:    10.8.2
> BuildVersion:    12C60

That looks fine. Looks like OS X 10.8.2 to me.

So that Xcode Preferences screenshot you sent. Was it created on this OS? If so what does it say when you choose About Xcode from the Xcode menu?

> It seems that there are more issues with my installation, because I get other fatal errors deeper into the following installs (specifically the installation is trying to install gnuplot and it fails):
>    sudo port install g95
>    sudo port install docbook-xml

Ok, perhaps if you show us that main.log it might shed some more light on the problem.

> The history is that I upgraded from OS X 10.6.8 to 10.8.2,

If you haven't already seen it, this is our page describing the steps needed after such an upgrade:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> then removed the installed Xcode (pre 4) by executing
>
> sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Ok, good. I don't remember exactly what I did when I upgraded from 10.6.8, but I assume I would have tried that, and my old Xcode did not get properly removed, and I had to manually hunt for and delete things. In particular, although the new Xcode 4.x was in /Applications where it was supposed to be, the old Xcode 3.2.6 was still in /Developer/Applications and I had to trash it and everything else in /Developer manually. Maybe you could have a look there as well.

> Finally, I have been trying to install Xcode 4.5.2.  While installing Xcode 4.5.2, I have run into some confusion:
>
> 1. Downloaded xcode4520418508a.dmg and opened it

Ok; you could also have installed from the Mac App Store, but manually downloading it from ADC is fine too.

> 2. When I open it, I see an Xcode application. When open, it does not show an install option (which is what I would have expected).

That's correct: that's the actual Xcode application, not an installer program.

> 3. It seems that all I can do is drag the Xcode application into the /Applications forder

That's the correct thing to do, yes.

> 4. The directory tree of this Xcode application is /Applications/Xcode/Contents/Library/ ...etc.  It that right?

Yes, these days the Xcode.app itself contains most of the things that used to be in other locations in /Developer.