Using -std=c++11 with the macports gcc-4.7 compiler

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jan 17 12:12:03 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:55:56AM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> Not at all.

> No. I'm saying that if a library uses libc++ and exports C++ objects,
> then its client needs to use libc++ as well. Similarly, if a library
> uses libstdc++ and exports C++ objects, then its client needs to use
> libstdc++ as well.

So if both compilers _can_ generate ABI-compatible code, shouldn't we
try to build all ports in MacPorts using the same ABI? Since the host's
is the only one we can't change we should probably build for the host
C++ stdlib?

So to achieve this we would have to make sure all C++ ports built with
g++ use the host's libc++ (and also the matching set of headers, I
guess)?

> No, because the machine used to build a project may not be the one
> installing it.

But the most common case of that would be one of our buildbots, and we
do know (or can easily look up) this information for them.

Most problems we're dealing with on a daily basis are build failures
when building locally, though, so having this readily available for the
local system might already be an improvement over the current situation.

--
Clemens Lang