selfupdate sources.conf firewall and rsync

Ferret Touch theferrettouch at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 16:01:29 PST 2013

Hello all,

I'm having issues trying to use port behind my company's firewall. I experienced this issue on all macs I've seen, from 10.6 to 10.7+.

I'm currently on  10.6 and 10.7 machines and with macports 2.1.2 installed.

I have modified the /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf file :

#  MacPorts system wide sources configuration file
#  $Id: sources.conf 79601 2011-06-19 21:28:55Z jmr at macports.org $

#  To setup a local ports repository, insert a "file://" entry following
#  the example below that points to your local ports directory:
#  Example: file:///Users/landonf/misc/MacPorts/ports

#  The default MacPorts repository should always be tagged [default]
#  for proper functionality of various resources (port groups, mirror
#  sites, etc).  If you switch it from the rsync:// URL, be sure to keep
#  it tagged [default].

#  To prevent a source from synchronizing when `port sync` is used,
#  append [nosync] at the end as shown in this example:
#  Example: file:///Users/landonf/misc/MacPorts/ports [nosync]

#  NOTE: The port command parses source URLs in order and installs the
#        first occurrance when a port appears in multiple repositories.
#        So keep "file://" URLs above other URL types.

#  To get the ports tree from the master MacPorts server in California, USA use:
#      rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
#  To get it from the mirror in Trondheim, Norway use:
#      rsync://trd.no.rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
#  A current list of mirrors is available at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors

# If an rsync URL points to a .tar file, a signed .rmd160 must exist next to
# it on the server and will be used to verify its integrity.

#rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz [default]
#file://$prefix/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/ [default]

and then I tried to run :

sudo port selfupdate

which produces :

--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync

that seems really weird, as I'd have thought that with my sources.conf file, selfupdate would look for the tarball and not use rsync. The rsync fails because of my firewall.

I've tried to rename sources.conf so that I can see whether selfupdate actually reads it, and it failed.. so it is actually reading it.

Even more weird :

I've tried :

sudo port -d sync

and then it works and takes the tarball...

Now if I run : sudo port -d selfupdate I get :

sudo port -d selfupdate
Password:
DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync

Now another but related comment :

Looking at how bypassing the firewall issue I've found this page :

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN

However, this seems kind of complicated move and requires the user to actually install svn on his machine. I personally prefer the solution I've found, i.e. using the tarball and using port -d sync afterwards.

Cheers