Failure of "port upgrade outdated" after selfupdate

LLLActive at GMX.Net LLLActive at GMX.Net
Mon Jan 21 14:50:29 PST 2013

On 21.01.13 21:54, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> Looking at the MacPorts for submitting tickets, there is a suggestion to run for " Is the problem with a 'port upgrade' operation?":
>>
>> " ... try a 'port uninstall foo' and then reinstall. You might also want to run 'port -nR upgrade --force foo' to rebuild ports depending upon port foo". ( i.e. port -nR upgrade --force ffmpeg')
> Doing an uninstall gets rid of the locally stored binary, whether it's active already or not. If you have multiple versions installed then you'll need to use the "name @version+variants" fully qualified format, similar to what you see in `port installed ffmpeg`.
>
> The forced upgrade command effectively achieves this as well.
>
>> Is it OK in my case? I'm not sure if it will then provide the wrong info in the log file. In the mean time I will wade through Chapter 7.1 in"http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets".
> It's fine and won't hurt anything that isn't already reported broken. As you suspect, it will wipeout and reuse the log file.
>
> The real issue isn't that macports is simply installing a pre-built binary of ffmpeg (we cannot distribute the +gpl2 variant): it could, however, be a dependency installed with the wrong variants or +gpl2 might be assuming too much.
>
> Either way, the main issue is your local build of ffmpeg failed and subsequent build attempts (rev-upgrade tries a few times before giving up, or you manually trying to run another build) the logs weren't complete (it skipped previously completed phases). Each build attempt truncates the log.
>
> The skipped phases are rather instrumental as they may show other settings throughout all phases. Similarly, if build phase is run repeatedly it will likely skip already completed files. Having a clean build attempt includes all of this information in the log file.

Thanks for the explanation Jeremy.

I posted a ticket # 37733 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37733>

Is it all OK like that?

TIA
:-)
Dreiel

--
LLLActive at GMX.Net

- banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies -
http://www.britannica.com/presidents/article-9116907 - Thomas Jefferson