Side effects?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 19:34:06 PST 2013

On 31/01/2013, at 1:11 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you stay within that, you cannot affect any files in other folders, even if they
> are owned by you.
>
> Not entirely true; do you know about ".."?  "~" / "$HOME"?  Random scripts very well might.

Yeah, fair enough.  I was envisaging our friend getting some basic knowledge
of command language by learning commands and utilities such as "ls" and "cp",
not "random scripts", and sticking to file paths with no ~ .. $whatever or leading /.

You have to start somewhere … :-) ... and I had previously given him a link to a
tutorial along those lines (in a private email).

BTW, does Macports have a nice safe GUI?

Cheers, Ian W.