Side effects?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jan 30 20:10:56 PST 2013

On 1/30/13 10:57 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> One time funding (pay for a task) is (arguably) different than routinely asking for money. We have had trolls in the past like that, simply feeding off people.

Well, I don't think I'm a troll...for a long time PortAuthority was the
only viable GUI tool for MacPorts. See this ancient blog entry calling
for a MacPorts GUI at GSoc:

http://ihack.us/2008/03/24/building-a-gui-for-macports/

Dr. Ernie called PA a "clever" product and the "state-of-the-art" at the
time.

GUI programming is hard. I think that's one reason why a free,
open-source GUI tool for MacPorts has never really taken off: I have
literally watched such tools come and go over the past eight or nine
years that I've been a MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) user.

One reason I'm still at it is PA provides a modest amount of income for
me. And if PA makes MacPorts more usable to some, and attracts more
users, then that's to MacPorts' benefit as well.

If a professional-level, full-featured, open-source GUI tool for
MacPorts came along, I'm sure the community would embrace it. I would
certainly welcome the competition. But finding someone devoted enough to
do that level of work, for free, as a volunteer, is a real challenge.
No free/OSS GUI tool for MacPorts comparable in professionalism to
Fink's FinkCommander has ever emerged.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer