Side effects?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:56:09 PST 2013

On 31/01/2013, at 2:53 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> On 1/30/13 10:50 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> Don't remember that one. Certainly not one that would ask for cash.
>
> It's been around since 2005.
>
> Interesting that you criticize the monetary aspect of it, however...doesn't GSOC provide, um, cash funding for the students chosen to work on the projects?

I was a GSoC mentor last year.  The deal is more like a grant than
a payment.  And students can fail and not get paid.  I had two
students - one from India and one from Brazil.  To me it was like
"Programmers Without Borders", except I did not have to travel
anywhere.  It was hard work for all of us, but we had a lot of fun.

Cheers, Ian W.