Segmentation Fault with Fresh xcircuit

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 3 12:07:19 PDT 2013

On Jul 3, 2013, at 11:35, Jean-François Caron wrote:

> Hello, I just installed the xcircuit port, and as soon as I try to run it from the command line, I get a Segmentation fault: 11 message, then the Apple error reporting window pops up with this debug information:
>
> <xcircuit_log.txt>

Me too, and for other users as well:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/30787

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37203

> I clicked "sent report to Apple" but honestly does that actually accomplish anything?

It informs Apple that the problem occurred, so they can track what problems are occurring the most, across the entire Mac user population. Unless it's an issue in OS X itself, or a top application issue, Apple probably won't do anything to fix it. I doubt this issue qualifies as either.

> Is this a MacPorts compilation problem, or a problem with the program itself?

I don't think we're doing anything unusual when compiling xcircuit, so I think it's the xcircuit developers' problem to fix. You should contact them and make sure they're aware of the problem.