Install from HEAD instead current stable version?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jul 4 02:03:39 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 10:08:01AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I am looking for an easy way of installing the development version
> (HEAD) of grass.
>
> under homebrew, I can simply say
>
> ,----
> | brew install grass --HEAD
> `----
>
> to instal the development version instead of the stable one - is there
> something similar in port?

MacPorts deliberately does not support this; there are no metrics to
find out when to consider such a port outdated and the build does not
yield reproducible results. If you need this, create a local portfile
repository, copy the grass Portfile to this tree, modify it to fetch
from current git head and change the commitish whenever you need a new
version. You'll probably have to add a artificial version number (like a
date) to get port to recognize that grass has been updated, since git
commits aren't monotonic.

BTW: MacPorts will not stop you from specifying HEAD or master as git
commit to fetch. You can use sudo port upgrade --force grass to build a
new version then.

--
Clemens Lang