Install from HEAD instead current stable version?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Jul 4 02:22:20 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 11:10:33AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> So then I would have to install grass as usual via
> ,----
> | port install grass
> `----

Yes.

> and then upgrade it and specify to use HEAD to fetch - how can I do
> this?

MacPorts has no way to do this from the command line like homebrew does.
You need to have a Portfile that explicitly specifies what to download
(where you can put in git HEAD, if you want).

Since such a Portfile will not be accepted into the main port tree, you
need to have a local portfile repository (as described in [1]), where
you can put this modified Portfile for MacPorts to pick up.

The guide also has all the information on how to fetch from git [2].

[1] https://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories
[2] https://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.fetch.git

HTH,
--