homebrew and macports together?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jul 8 11:15:18 PDT 2013

On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Eric A. Borisch <eborisch at macports.org> wrote:
>> With the latest Homebrew 0.9.3 it’s quite the contrary. Thanks
>> to the new “Superenv”, the user’s PATH is ignored completely:
>> <https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Homebrew-0.9.3>.
>
> Pardon me if I'm slightly amused by what they've done. Homebrew (in
> contrast to MP) is all about using what's "bundled with the system" --
> right?
>
>> From the link above: "We can prevent a good deal of breakage, and it
> ensures that Homebrew uses the same executables that the compiler sees
> (and not those bundled with the system)."

it's extra amusing if you've been a MacPorts user for a really long time (since before the name change). One of the initial things that attracted me to MacPorts was that at the time it used more system-supplied items (via path or bin dependencies, since port dependencies didn't exist originally IIRC).

It's interesting that both projects (eventually) realized that this doesn't actually work all that well (from the MacPorts perspective, we got sick of Apple's updates breaking things for us...)

--
Daniel J. Luke