homebrew and macports together?

Guido Soranzio guido.soranzio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 08:28:33 PDT 2013

On Jul 5, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> $PATH is only one of the possible problems. Does homebrew prevent promiscuous configure scripts from scanning /sw, /opt/local, etc. for libraries?

If GNU's Autotools were really functional in practice, we wouldn't need
package managers… :)

Personally, I am using a brute-force methods which is quite effective:
before compiling for a package manager, I rename the other sandboxes by
appending an "_off" suffix.

To automate things and restore the original paths, I started with a simple
MacRuby script which evolved in a full GUI [1]: unfortunately, Sansonetti's
team is working almost exclusively on RubyMotion these days and the future
of MacRuby seems doomed by the deprecation of garbage collection in
Mavericks.

The only disadvantage that I found in renaming paths is that you have
to add both paths to the Privacy panel of the Spotlight preferences,
otherwise the indexing demon is constantly restarted and wasting CPU
time.

[1] https://github.com/gui-dos/Guigna