python package using a Fortran library

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 17 15:13:10 PDT 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 08:56, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> You are correct in the general case but not in this particular special case, and the Python and Perl extension mechanisms force the compiler for very good reasons.

And MacPorts forces the compiler for very good reasons. The very specific problem that this Python decision causes for MacPorts has been demonstrated by users using Xcode 4.2 on Snow Leopard. Our Snow Leopard packages are built on a buildbot with Xcode 3.2.6 with gcc-4.2; Xcode 4.2 does not contain gcc-4.2. Therefore any users on Snow Leopard with Xcode 4.2 who receive our pre-compiled binary for Python will be unable to compile any modules because they will try to use gcc-4.2.