problem with MacPorts under Mavericks/Xcode5

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jun 11 11:53:05 PDT 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Artemio González López <artemiog at mac.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to reinstall my ports under 10.9 Mavericks with Xcode5 DP. Following the instructions in https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration, I have successfully wiped my old installation and then I have attempted to reinstall my ports one by one. However, when trying to install the first one (ispell) port fails fairly early with the error message below. Does anybody know of a fix/workaround (short of setting the macport user to root)?
>
> I suspect very few of us have access to Mavericks at this time. Needless to say, running MacPorts on pre-release operating systems is unsupported.

I don't have access to it, but I can supply some thoughts.

Historically, people with access to prerelease software are not allowed to discuss it (so you're possibly breaking your NDA if you write to the list about problems you're having).

If you watch commits to MacPorts, though, you can sometimes see when people (who have access) commit fixes or updates for compatibility.

If you want to run a pre-release OS, you might end up needing to run pre-release MacPorts too (and dealing with all of the issues that may come along with that).

Of course, having said that, there's no guarantee that anyone with access to any future OS release is also working on MacPorts - so you may even have to wait some time after an official release for MacPorts to be updated to support it.

--
Daniel J. Luke