settings for KDE4 applications

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 20:30:26 PDT 2013

On 07/06/2013, at 7:03 AM, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Recently someone asked on the list "Where is KControl?"
>
> https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2013-May/032726.html
>
> It was determined that it doesn't exist for KDE4 applications installed via macports, hence it is difficult to adjust settings, e.g. color schemes. I want to share, though, that some control is available via files in
>
> $HOME/Library/Preferences/KDE/share/config/

Those files, in a Linux installation, are the user's local overrides for standard settings
and the user's settings for individual apps (files share/config/<appname>rc).  There are
also some user settings for menus and shortcuts in the files
share/<appname>/<appname>ui.rc, e.g. if the user has selected his own keyset for
controlling a game.

Normally those files are updated only by KDE apps and KDE libs.  Updating them by
hand is risky and unsupported, but you are welcome to try it.

> especially the file "kdeglobals". I have had some success adjusting fonts and time format there:
>
> [General]
> font=Lucida Grande,14,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
<snip>

> However, the ability to set colors eludes me. I have pasted in lines about color from linux machines, and they seem to be ignored. If anyone knows more, please post!

I notice that there is a long list of colors in share/config/colors, but I am unable
to see any semantics in it (i.e. what those colors are for).  They could just be the
last palette used in KDE's colour-selector widget.

Also each app's main window preferences are encoded in the files
share/config/<appname>rc (e.g. last window size and position).  There could
be color information embedded there, but I do not know how.

Cheers, Ian W.