Version-specific Python executables (e.g. pip) not linked in /opt/local/bin

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Jun 25 09:35:36 PDT 2013

On Jun 25, 2013, at 11:24 AM, "Murphy, Kevin" <MURPHYKE at email.chop.edu> wrote:

> When I install pip-2.7, I notice that pip-2.7 is placed in /opt/local/bin, but there is no link to /opt/local/bin/pip created.
>
> Is this to be expected?

Yes, that is expected. Since Python modules can be installed simultaneously for different Python versions, none of them install non-versioned binaries into ${prefix}/bin. One workaround is to prepend /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin to your PATH.

There is a ticket open requesting a "port select" mechanism for selecting a "default" pip; this would still require making a choice manually. https://trac.macports.org/ticket/38016

vq