How get tomcat6 configured?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 14:58:16 PST 2013

I've installed the port of tomcat6 but cannot figure out how to get it configured so that it will start under Mountain Lion.

In my ~/.profile, I've set:

  export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home)
  export CATALINA_BASE=/opt/local/share/java/tomcat6

And re-loaded the profile into Terminal with: source ~/.profile

But wen I run

  sudo /opt/local/share/tomcat6/bin/conf_setup.sh

I get message:  CATALINA_BASE must be set in my environment

How do I fix that?

That's just the beginning of trying to get the whole thing to work -- so that I can get to the tomcat6 log-in page in Safari.

I've found quite a few posts to stack exchange and various blogs, but they all seem to deal earlier versions of OS X or earlier versions of tomcat or refer to non-MacPorts installations.

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912