tomcat6 port: I give up!

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 07:54:16 PST 2013

The issue is not just having a port of Tomcat 7 that will build: the tomcat6 port did that without any problems. The issue is how to get it configured once it's been installed.

I never did discern whether there was a mere problem with permissions, or something else. Unfortunately, there are so many sources of information on configuring Tomcat, much of it for earlier versions of Tomcat itself or only for Apple's built-in, obsolescent Java 6, or even for older versions of OS X.

I do note that with the direct download of the Tomcat 7 tar.gz file from http://tomcat.apache.org, the couple of steps described at http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7 produced a working version quickly.

Also, with that version, the needed conf directory was located immediately; that was one of the stumbling blocks I encountered with the tomcat6 port.

On Mar 6, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2013, at 22:21, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> Over the past couple days I've posted several messages in this list about how to configure the tomcat6 port to work on OS X Mountain Lion, and I thank the respondents for their suggestions, whether public or private. But nothing has worked to the point that I cannot merely start tomcat but also view its index page at http://localhost:8080.
>>
>> In desperation, I uninstalled the tomcat6 port and in its place installed Tomcat 7 following the instructions at:
>>
>> http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7
>>
>> This includes directly downloading the *nix version directly from http://tomcat.apache.org. And the instructions there pointed me to what seems like a sound way to be sure I'm using the current Java 7 jdk rather than the old, built-in Apple Java 6.
>>
>> Tomcat 7 so far works like a charm. (I'll doubtless still struggle with building and installing the Apache httpd-Tomcat mod_jk connector.)
>>
>> And apparently Tomcat 7 will work for my real intended purpose -- which as the servlet container needed to run webMathematica.
>
> If we can get a working tomcat in MacPorts that would be nice too.
>
> I see a port for tomcat 7 was submitted here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28938

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912