Where to manually place extra python resources

Busser, Jim james.busser at ubc.ca
Wed Mar 20 10:26:40 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-20, at 9:54 AM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

>> An application written in python wants to import a python library not presently included among MacPorts' ports.
>
> I would just add it to MacPorts then.

I have tried before to write a portfile (for a different package) and even with hints, was unable to get it to work. I may try again but need a solution in the meantime. I could ask someone via trak to do it, but was reluctant to do so until I could know that more people than just me might desire something that might be called py-hl7.

>> Is there some more "standard" place under Mac OS where I can relocate the hl7 library so that my MacPorts python can find it?
>
> Well, `pip install --user` puts things into the user-site.

I am maybe missing the relevance of pip to MacPorts

> Python's documentation (PEP 370 - Per user site-packages directory) says [1]:
> On Mac OS X Python uses ~/.local directory as well. Framework builds of Python include ~/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages as an additional search path.
> [1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

My ~/Library/ contains no Python

My ~/.local contains only the directory /share and after I deposited into ~/.local/ the hl7 directory and the files contained therein, the required import did not work, so I seem no further ahead.

-- Jim