Backup Script for Mac OS X experiences?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:02:46 PDT 2013

On 21/03/2013, at 9:14 AM, Gregory Shenaut wrote:
> Thank you, that was extremely helpful. I just did some poking around, and based on the .ServerBackups folder in my TM drive, ServerBackup seems to be running as would be expected on my SL servers. I feel much better.

> On Mar 20, 2013, at 14:56 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I came across this - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5139 - esp. the last para, but it's for Lion …

No worries … :-)

Here is some more food for thought before we end this off-topic (but important) thread …

   http://ryanblock.com/2008/05/good-folders-to-exclude-from-time-machine-backups/

I wonder if I should be excluding parts of /opt/local … ?  Macports has a rather high
turnover of files when you install or upgrade and I think most could be recreated easily
enough after a disk crash.

Also, it appears that it is possible for "databasey" apps to co-ordinate themselves
with Time Machine and some have already done so (or at least thought through
the issues) …

    http://www.marketcircle.com/support/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=714
    http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/outlook/item/dd509ae4-6b71-4ad6-9868-437552b2256e

Cheers, Ian W.