GTK2_RC_FILE and ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ignored

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 24 11:48:15 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-22 01:07, Kevin Layer wrote:
> I've googled and googled and tried a bunch of things, but I can't get
> GTK2 installed via macports to use any theme.  I did this
>
>   # port install gtk-theme-switch gnome-themes
>
> and I even downloaded themes from here
>
>   http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2
>
> and changed my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and GTK2_RC_FILE env variable to
> point directly to the gtkrc in the theme, but nothing works.  The
> buttons and everything else in the app looks the same before and after
> all this work.
>
> Anyone have ideas I can try?   Thanks.

I don't know where I would start looking. However, I can tell you that
the way you tried it works for me. I am using a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with a
single line to select the Clearlooks theme from port gtk-engines2:

  gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks"

I confirmed that the GTK theme is actually affected by this setting by
running the gtk-demo binary.

Rainer