add another linking level for perl5 binaries?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Mar 27 23:43:02 PDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:30 PM, Derek Lamb <derek at boulder.swri.edu> wrote:

> Same thing that happens when you install perl5.12 and perl5.14 and perl5.16?  The symlink from /opt/local/bin/perl points to whichever version is active (and similarly for perl5, perlbug, perldoc, perlivp, and perlthanks), so presumably if 5.12, 14, and 16 were installed and 16 was active, then all the symlinks for the module binary p5-foo would point to p5.16-foo (or pfoo-5.16, I guess).

Technically speaking, the target of the perl5 symlinks depend on which variant is chosen. So in an analogous setup, every p5-foo port would have variants for each possible p5.xy-foo. The default variant could be chosen depending on the current perl5 variant, maybe. But I think we've been moving away from using variants for this sort of thing, in favor of "port select".

vq