'No manual entry for port'

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri May 3 07:20:03 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> still are.  In Linux and Unix I would have put such commands in .bashrc
> or, back in the day, .kshrc.

Nobody cares these days (until they try to use
modules/virtualenv/perlbrew/rvm/hsenv and then they complain a lot because
their broken setup turns out to be broken, and clearly this is someone
else's fault) but you should really NEVER put environment settings into
.bashrc/.zshenv/.kshrc($ENV) files. They are read per shell invocation
instead of per session and will wipe out any changes made by special
sessions, such as those used by environment managers like the ones I named
above.

I got the impression, too, that .bashrc does not run when you start
> an Apple Terminal window, but only when you manually start a new
> "bash" shell.

bash does not run .bashrc automatically in a login shell, it assumes you
are doing what you need in .profile / .bash_profile. Accordingly, it is
common for those to source .bashrc.

Note that this is a bash-specific behavior; zsh will run .zshenv for login
shells, {,t}csh will run .{t,}cshrc for login shells. ksh follows slightly
different rules, though (see $ENV).