bash completion error

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun May 12 04:49:26 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-12 12:28, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> I've installed bash & bash-completion from MacPorts & when adding the
> required line to my bash_profile to enable the completion as advised, I get:
>
> 'bash: [: 05b: integer expression expected]'
>
> I've stared at it 'til I'm blue in the face but I can't see why it
> expects an integer.
>
> By the way this is on an old 800MHz G4 PowerMac running 10.4.11 that I
> bought yesterday for a fiver if that makes any difference at all.

Are you using /opt/local/bin/bash? As stated in 'port notes
bash-completion' you need at least bash 4.1. I don't know which version
of bash shipped with 10.4.11 as /bin/bash.

The bash_completion script tries to detect old bash versions, but maybe
it's even too old for that check to work properly?

Even on later versions of Mac OS X, your /bin/bash is too old as Apple
left it at 3.2, the last version available under GPL-2 and later
versions are GPL-3.

Rainer