Issue with selfupdate

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed May 15 11:12:14 PDT 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 11:02 AM, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:

> The network I'm on blocks rsync, so I configured MacPorts to use the
> daily tarball.  A 'port sync' worked.  But 'port selfupdate' is still
> using rsync:
>
> flamingo:~ joliver$ sudo port -d selfupdate
> DEBUG: MacPorts sources location:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-42/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
> Exit code: 10
> DEBUG: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed
>    while executing
> "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options] base_updated"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing
> MacPorts sources: command execution failed

Your choices in sources.conf only affect fetching the ports tree. When running selfupdate, MacPorts still tries to update base over rsync. (Note the rsync URL that fails.)

If you're not willing to run bleeding-edge MacPorts from the Subversion trunk, I'm not sure you can do anything other than using "port sync" instead of "port selfupdate"; you'll have to update base manually with the package installers or source tarballs. Someone please correct me if there's another option here.

vq