MySQL-connector-java build hangs on Mac OS X Server 10.8.3

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Wed May 15 13:30:42 PDT 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 14:46 PM, allbery.b at gmail.com wrote:

> If you used "su" instead of "sudo" (this includes the shell anti-pattern
> "sudo su" / "sudo su -"; don't do that. Use "su -s" or "su -i", that's what
> they're there for.) then you're tripping over a change Apple made to root's
> environment. And yes, running it directly will work, because Apple put
> something else in that makes it work interactively, but the build
> environment is sanitized and thereby loses it. There is a workaround for
> this change in the (as yet unreleased) trunk revision of MacPorts, but the
> correct answer is "don't use su on OS X".

Thanks Chris & Brandon.

This is a production Mac mini that we do software builds on, and
it basically only has "root", the non-root admin account and the
build user account on it, so by habit I never log onto it directly
as myself.  I'll try again from the non-root admin account ...

	- Greg