MacPorts, X11 and /opt/local/lib clashing libraries

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:57:59 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Does anyone use MacPorts for X11 stuff?  I would prefer to use
> MacPorts, but it looks to me like if I install the "openmotif"
> port ,it sucks in all sorts of other dependent X11 ports and to
> be honest given that Apple has "blessed" XQuartz 2.7.4 I would
> prefer to be compiling/linking against the XQuartz stuff instead.

You cannot; see http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs.
That said, the X11 in MacPorts *is* XQuartz; it is updated by the same
maintainer and kept in sync.

But if you're building something for distribution (other than as a port),
you should probably move MacPorts (or Fink or Homebrew, etc.) out of the
way while doing it. Same applies to any other distribution on any other OS,
really; for example, unless you actually intend there to be such
dependencies, you should not build software for distribution on a Linux
machine which has EPEL, Rawhide, Debian testing/unstable, AUR/PPAs etc.
installed. Build for the lowest common denominator and avoid add-ins if you
intend distribution, and only carefully include add-ins if you absolutely
require them (and, if possible, build them yourself and bundle them
instead).