Issue with selfupdate

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu May 16 10:18:16 PDT 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 12:53 PM, John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net> wrote:

> Given that one of the FAQ items is, "My network doesn't allow rsync and
> I can't change that...", it seems like a good idea to address this.
>
> Offering rsync on an unprivileged port may be a good compromise.

Given the infrequency of base releases, asking you to use "port sync", subscribe to macports-announce[1], and install updates manually seems like a better idea than opening up another port on the MacOSForge servers. Selfupdate doesn't do anything special with respect to installing base.

You might also ask an administrator of one of the rsync mirrors[2] if they might be willing to make the change you desire.

vq