Start X11 automatically when launching programs from Terminal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 16 22:02:28 PDT 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 23:24, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> On May 16, 2013, at 8:00 PM, Leo Singer wrote:
>
>> Could the port also do:
>>
>>   system "launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist"
>
> That's what the xinit port tells you to do if you want MacPorts' X11.app to be default.  I see no reason to force that in the portfile.

I see no *mechanism* in MacPorts today by which we could force it in the portfile. LaunchAgents need to be started per-user, and MacPorts doesn't have permission to modify user-owned files; user settings are things MacPorts has historically left to the user to implement themselves (with the notable exception of the one-time setup of the user's shell profile at MacPorts installation time).