Problems installing ffmpeg 1.2.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 23 21:03:57 PDT 2013

I'm not aware of any feature in MacPorts that would cause that to happen—aside from explicitly requesting that (e.g. "sudo port activate ffmpeg @1.1.2_0+gpl2"), but John isn't doing that.

> Use "upgrade" instead of "install" to make sure those dependencies are also updated to use the new version;

"install" and "upgrade" both upgrade dependencies first—unless you explicitly request for that not to happen, by using the "-n" flag, but John isn't doing that.

> or if that also ends up re-downgrading you in the rev-upgrade step following the upgrade, then make a note of the ports which were noted as broken in rev-upgrade and file Trac tickets against them, as that would indicate they have dependencies they are not declaring properly.

John, have you run "sudo port selfupdate" to make sure your ports and MacPorts base are up to date? If so, and this is still happening, is it possible you have deliberately set up a local portfile repository, which contains this older ffmpeg 1.1.2 port? Check your sources.conf file for unusual entries.