Where is KControl?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 26 23:10:08 PDT 2013

On 27/05/2013, at 7:37 AM, andrabr wrote:
> Sorry if the answer is staring me in the face,
> but many days of searching have not revealed it to me  :-(
>
> I am running KDE4 on my Mountain Lion (Ok, I am actually mostly running
> Krusader, but it does rely on KDE4). But I am failing to find the good old
> KControl - you know, the "KDE Control Center", also sometimes referred to as
> "System Settings".
>
> It is not in kde4-baseapps nor in kdeadmin package.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

I think this must be the wrong question on Apple.  KDE 4 on Macports contains
KDE apps, utilities and the libraries they depend on, but not every last bit of
KDE desktop software.  Each app has its own local settings (shown on the Mac
under the AppName->Preferences menu).  General settings come, I think, from
the qt4-mac library, which is to say they are inherited from the Mac desktop.

> P.S.  What I am actually trying to achieve, is apply some darker KDE color
> themes, as staring at the bright white screen for hours is not easy on my
> eyes. This is not an esthetics issue, it's a health issue.

I cannot see that there is very much choice in the Mac environment, other
than to visit "System Preferences->Universal Access->Seeing tab" and select
"White on black", which IMHO is even harder on the eyes …  I keep on going
when I feel tired by turning down the display's screen brightness.  I already
have the "Enhanced contrast" setting on Normal, the lowest it will go.

I do not know what I shall do when I can no longer handle the small fonts in Mac
window decorations.  I once asked Apple Support about this and all they could
suggest was to lower the Macbook screen resolution from 1440x900 to 1024x768!

Many apps have options for selecting fonts and colours inside the window.
For example, in the Terminal window, I use a background colour which is
white with reduced blue, and that saves a lot of eyestrain.

> So if there is a way to achieve this by other means - I am all ears!  :-)

So am I.  It seems to me Apple should be able to offer a little more choice
of desktop styling and that maybe I am missing something obvious.

Cheers, Ian W.