Upgrading perl from 5.12 to 5.16?

Johannes Kastl mail at ojkastl.de
Mon May 27 12:48:07 PDT 2013

Hello Ryan,

thanks for your answer.

Am 27.05.13 21:37 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
> On May 27, 2013, at 13:33, Johannes Kastl wrote:
>

> Ok. You shouldn't have had to force-deactivate anything though.
> Simply installing perl5 +perl5_16 on top of the existing perl5 port
> should have caused MacPorts to deactivate the existing perl5 port
> automatically.

Should. But did not. I'm sorry I did not note the error message.

> If by "change" you mean "change what /opt/local/bin/perl is a
> symlink to", then the answer is to install the perl5 port with the
> variant corresponding to the version of perl you want it to be a
> symlink to.

Exactly.

> Note that perl in MacPorts is unusual and unique in this method,
> and it may be changed in the future to the "port select" mechanism
> we use most everywhere else. Perl in MacPorts simply predates "port
> select" and hasn't yet been updated to use it.

I already noted that. I hope this gets easier in the future.

> You can install p5.12-image-exiftool and p5.16-image-exiftool
> simultaneously, and in general any p5.X-Z and p5.Y-Z. If you no
> longer want p5.12-image-exiftool and now want p5.16-image-exiftool,
> uninstall the former and install the latter.

Of course I can. But why should I install everything in duplicate? If
one is enough upgrade perl from 5.12 to 5.16 should replace
p5.12-image-exiftool by p5.16-image-exiftool IMHO. At least that is
what I would have assumed. But I am not an expert.

> On May 27, 2013, at 14:11, Johannes Kastl wrote:
>
>> 3. How to get intltool to use p5.16 instead of 5.12 for its
>> dependencies? Reinstalling gimp2 and inkscape leads to some
>> p5.12-* modules being installed.
>
> There is intentionally no way for you to do so. Ports like intltool
> that use specific perl modules must depend on a specific perl
> version thereof. Currently the default perl in MacPorts is 5.12.
> I'm sure we'd be willing to entertain the idea of changing what the
> default perl is, but it should then be done uniformly in all
> ports.

Again, I would have assumed that upgrading perl would replace the
older version with the newer one, and therefore rebuilding all ports
depending on older versions, now depending on newer ones. But also
again, I am not an expert.

Of course perl is not the same as some 'simple' program, where you
would not need more than one version. Why use e.g. gimp2.6 if you can
use 2.8? Most users would simply install the newer one.

Regards,
Johannes