Suggestion

Jean-François Caron jfcaron at phas.ubc.ca
Tue May 28 12:12:35 PDT 2013

While download statistics might not be a good system, I do concur that MacPorts very much would benefit from having a "discovery" mechanism by which users find out about useful ports.  Searching is nice, but it's not discovery.  Some kind of "top ports" list (however implemented) would be useful, imho.

I do like the idea of opt-inable call-home reporting about which ports are installed.  Even if a minority opts-in, it would be useful.  Ubuntu does a similar thing IIRC.  For non-end-users, it would also inform port maintainers about how many people depend on their work.

Jean-François

Begin forwarded message: