The return of X11?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 17:08:37 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Tabitha McNerney <tabithamc at gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe its my imagination, but I noticed today, after the upgrade to 10.9
> and Xcode 5.0.1, the X11 app appears in /Applications/Utilities  ...
> alongside with the XQuartz app. I seem to recall I intentionally installed
> XQuartz last year because Apple had no longer provided the X11 app. But
> maybe I'm just losing it with my memory. Or, has Apple returned to its
> older ways of providing X11 as part of Xcode?

I understand Apple has acknowledged this as a bug in the 10.9 upgrader: if
you already have XQuartz installed on 10.8 and you upgrade to 10.9, the X11
"stub" (which prompts you to install XQuartz, and does nothing else) gets
reinstalled and reactivated in launchd. Just reinstall XQuartz to make it
go away.