Problem installing Zabbix with libiconv

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 06:36:38 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Nate Rudd <deafears at naterudd.com> wrote:

> I am trying to setup Zabbix server for the first time and am running into
> problems with "make install" catching on some "undefined symbols" that are
> supposed to be referencing functions in libiconv.  Here is what I have done:

Common problem when mixing MacPorts and non-MacPorts software: Apple ships
an ancient iconv with different calling conventions, while MacPorts uses an
up to date one, and to avoid weird core dumps the MacPorts ones have
renamed symbols. Depending on where the linker discovers this, you may see
missing _iconv_* (looking for Apple's, got the real one) or _libiconv_*
(looking for the real one, got Apple's). (Something similar can happen with
libreadline, where Apple's isn't readline at all!)

We have Zabbix ports (zabbix and zabbix2); you probably want the latter.