Linking Errors Warnings

Jean-François Caron jfcaron at phas.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 12 10:41:36 PST 2013

Hi, I am trying to test the "base trunk" MacPorts in order to get full language and library support for C++11 using the port called root.  There is a ticket discussing it here: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39975

I have followed as far as I can tell the instructions for installing "base trunk", namely steps 1 & 2 here: http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.html

I have also followed the steps for creating a local Portfile repository for the changes to the root portfile made by applying the patch root.2.diff which is attached to the above ticket.  I added the three lines to my macports.conf suggested by Jeremy in the ticket, which are supposed to enable libc++ linking.

I then uninstalled all my ports and tried installing the port root with my favourite variants.  Everything seems to proceed nicely until the "scanning binaries for linking errors" stage, at which point I get hundreds of this kind of warning:
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 99.6%
Warning: /opt/local/lib/root/libmultimapDict.5.34.so uses /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib as C++ standard library although macports::cxx_stdlib is set to libc++.

I get this warning for libraries of the llvm-3.2 port, cmake, and root itself.  There are probably others, but it's hard to tell because the warnings don't say which specific port, just which binary have the warning.  Nevertheless, the root port now runs and seems to behave normally.

Finally, the whole point of this exercise was to test the enabling of "libc++" over "libstdc++" for the root port, however I notice that libcxx was not pulled in as a dependecy, and compiling C++11 source with list-initialized vectors still fails.

So, I am wondering: is this that the patched root Portfile doesn't work on my 10.7.5 platform?  Or did I just not properly execute one of the myriad of steps required for testing it?  Should I be worried about the warnings, or are they just an artefact of my not testing properly?

Jean-François