Linking Errors Warnings

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Nov 12 16:05:55 PST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Jean-François Caron <jfcaron at phas.ubc.ca> wrote:

> I then uninstalled all my ports and tried installing the port root with my favourite variants.  Everything seems to proceed nicely until the "scanning binaries for linking errors" stage, at which point I get hundreds of this kind of warning:
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 99.6%
> Warning: /opt/local/lib/root/libmultimapDict.5.34.so uses /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib as C++ standard library although macports::cxx_stdlib is set to libc++.

This means that that object file links to libstdc++, which presumably means that the patch doesn't work.

> I get this warning for libraries of the llvm-3.2 port, cmake, and root itself.  There are probably others, but it's hard to tell because the warnings don't say which specific port, just which binary have the warning.

I believe Jeremy H. S. is aware of the issue with llvm-3.2.

> Finally, the whole point of this exercise was to test the enabling of "libc++" over "libstdc++" for the root port, however I notice that libcxx was not pulled in as a dependecy, and compiling C++11 source with list-initialized vectors still fails.

The libcxx port is only necessary for OS X 10.6, which doesn't provide libc++.

Since your source still fails to compile, it seems that the port needs more work.

> So, I am wondering: is this that the patched root Portfile doesn't work on my 10.7.5 platform?  Or did I just not properly execute one of the myriad of steps required for testing it?  Should I be worried about the warnings, or are they just an artefact of my not testing properly?

Without seeing your main.log, it's hard to tell whether you're testing correctly.

vq