maxima+xmaxima: can't type into Console

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Wed Nov 13 13:07:16 PST 2013

Hi Murray,

On Nov 13, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> I installed maxima @5.30.0_0+xmaxima. By itself, the command-line maxima works (so far) as expected.
good.

> When, instead, I start xmaxima from the command-line, I get two windows — Xmaxima: browser and Xmaxima: console. If I double-click one of the highlighted lines in the Xmaxima: browser window, then the output appears in the Xmaxima:browser window, and both the input and corresponding output appear in the Xmaxima:console window as well.
Yes, that's intentional.
The browser just shows you a section from the manual, which you're advised to click through to show off some of maxima's and xmaxima's features.

> But I cannot type any input directly into the Xmaxima: console window. Shouldn’t I be able to do so? And, if not, how can one enter input of one’s own (instead of just evaluate what’s in the prepared html page showing in the Xmaxima:browser window?
You should be able to enter your own lines in the console.
If not, which Mac OS version are you using?
Here on my SL it works seamlessly.

Greets,
Marko

P.S.: Perhaps you would like to install wxMaxima and try that too.