HELP!! Trouble running Macports

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 18:40:51 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org>wrote:

> > Everything seems to be working correctly. Type your password and press
> Return. Nothing will be displayed as you type.
>
> In case you're unaware, this is very common (dare I say ubiquitous?)
> behavior for the Unix command line. I'm not sure I've ever seen a password
> prompt that actually showed filler symbols.

I have, but it's rare. Web "usability" trumped security here --- filler
symbols give away information about password length. (Granted, back when
Unix was limited to 8 character maximum for passwords, this was a lot more
information given away. Then again, I bet most people still use less than 8
characters when they can get away with it.)