Installed MacPorts 2.2.1, now to install Octave & dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 26 16:39:17 PST 2013

On Nov 26, 2013, at 15:43, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Patrick Hinkle wrote:
>> I have downloaded Octave 3.4.6 in a folder in my /users directory and am attempting to run it
>
> Why? There is an octave port. Or, if you're just going to install stuff by hand, why bother with a package manager?

Well, the octave port is for version 3.2.x which is old and has some problems, including not working on Mavericks:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41211

The octave-devel port is for version 3.6.x and is better; this should be used for now, if possible. This will be changed soon so that the octave port is for version 3.6.x. See

https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2013-November/025163.html